Sunday, March 14, 2010

Bednar Beats Billy

Seven months ago, there was a concert announced. Billy Talent, Alexisonfire, Against Me, Cancer Bats. Six months ago I bought tickets for said concert. Two months ago there were rumours spread of a General Authority coming to Lethbridge. Three weeks ago it is announced that Elder David A. Bednar, of the Quorum of the 12 is going to have a YSA fireside. Ten days ago, I figure out that they are at the same day, same time, in the same city, on the same block. Crap.

Pickle? Yes. I had a decision to make. And the worst of it was, the decision was totally obvious. But still, I procrastinated, weighed out the pros and cons, tried to rationalize... I had already bought the tickets, or I could do both... They were right next to each other, the concert would run longer than the fireside so I could hit the fireside and the last half of the concert(who cares about Cabcer Bats and Against Me anyway?)

I came to the conclusion last night. I will devote myself to the fireside. I found someone to buy my ticket and it was settled. And this I will say- Great Life Choice. Elder Bednar is Fantastic. The entire fireside was a Q&A. Amazing. That man is inspired, Pres. Monson is the Prophet and this is THE TRUE CHURCH. I was happy with my decision cause after the fireside ended, the spirit was still so strong and in my heart I knew that even if I still had the ticket, I probably wouldn't go. I knew the it would drive the spirit away. Not that its bad music, just that the atmosphere and the drinking and ...other stuff... is not so spiritually uplifting. Its kind of sad that it took me so long to make a decision like this, when the answer is clearly infront of me. That's something I need to work on. I will be better.

I know that what I got out of tonight was the best thing for me. The things I took from the fireside and Elder Bednar far outweighed anything I could have possibly gained from going to rock out. Elder Bednar-1 Billy Talent-0.

3 comments:

  1. the fireside was awesome. good choice alaya.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard nothing but praise for this fireside. I'm quite jealous I couldnt be there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha you know what i thought was really funny/cool...just how that all worked out! like talk about the adversary trying to work his magic! and whats even funnier is how Elder B. was like "What are you guys doing here? small little university party town, and you guys are here..." ha ha Alaya! good life choice!

    ReplyDelete