Thursday, March 17, 2011

Cartch

Formerly I had titled this blog "Rugby Reunion" but I started writting it and it became more about him than anything else. Meet Richard Cartier- Aka "Cartch"
He is one of the greatest men of all time. I want my children to marry his children. Cartch was my rugby coach for grade 11 & 12. Its funny to say that cause it seemed like so much longer. He moved to Lethbridge the beginning of my grade 10 year, and was our seminary teacher. At first I didn't want anything to do with him, cause we had our seminary teachers, and he came from out east and had a funny accent. I was separated from my friends and put into his class with a bunch of people I didn't know... Change sucks. I quickly changed my mind. He was/is a fantastic teacher. I remember still lessons he taught, and it wasn't just the lessons he taught verbally, it was in his nature. When he didn't even mean to teach. A lot of people said that he was a totally different guy when he was on a field. Sure, his language changed a little, as did his manner, but at the same time, not really. He was still himself. He never did or said anything that contradicted his character. Same guy, different situation. I remember one time, we were in Edmonton and our Rugby bus drove by the Temple and some of the girls started asking questions about the church and it was amazing the way he spoke about it... The church guy and the rugby guy, same guy.

We lovingly named him 'The Push-up Nazi'... And he made us do, what we've come to refer to as 'Cartier-Push-ups'. Explanation- The regular push-up has two levels, which when done in sequence is equal to one push-up AKA- up-down=one. The Cartier push-up has three levels. Along with up and down, there was 'half', and it was up to him when one push up was complete, AKA- up-half-up-half-down-hold it down- hold it- half-up-down-half .......- up-down-up-half-up-down-up=one... This, for those of you unaware, is the definition of brutal. When he said 10 push-ups, it could take 10 seconds, or 10 minutes...

Well, two years of playing for the guy just wasn't enough, so I stuck around and eventually ended up coaching his JV team. A few more years passed, and after the 2007 season he was transferred to Calgary to teach seminary. Apparently the Lord thought someone there needed some H-core help...

ANYWAY, Cartch decided to come down and have a lil reunion with anyone who was still/happened to be in Lethbridge. It was great seeing some of the old girls, and catching up. Being there made me jones for some LCI rugby... We got on the topic of push-ups. We went around talking about how many we could do in a minute. I figured I could get about 20 in. Thats reasonable right? Then this happened...


Cleared a space on the floor of Boston Pizza and had a push-up show down. Cartch is a machine. I think the total count was Cartier-40, Patzer-30. Which is totally respectable. I was impressed. The best part was the fact that there were about 9 cops having some dinner there and they thought this was hilarious.

PS. 12. I went home cause I really wasn't sure how many I could do in a minute, the answer is 12. I need to hit the gym...

No comments:

Post a Comment