Sunday, January 23, 2011

Great Big Weekend

This weekend Myself and some friends of mine took a little trip up to Edmonton to see Great Big Sea in concert. Hence the blog title... if you didn't get it...

The drive up there was great, for the most part the roads were clear and dry. Awesome. Tacy tagged along for the ride, she was going up to see Ashley Steed. We went to drop her off and the minute we turned onto residential streets I knew it was going to be a tad more difficult than anticipated. Now, i've spend a solid amount of time in Edmonton... or so I thought... I wasn't aware that this was normal. There was about 6 feet of snow on people's lawns, and about a foot on the road, fluffy and just begging to get you stuck in it. most streets there was only one set of tracks in the snow on the road so if you met a car going to opposite way, you were hooped. Well, we stopped out front of the house to let Tacy out just as another car was pulling down the road. We tried to move, he tried to move, we both got stuck and wound up pushing each other out. Solid times.

We went shopping at West Ed, as per usual. But a new twist, we made a plan of attack! The gals looked up the stores they wanted to hit, we got a map and planned our route for maximum efficiency. Which is a good thing cause we still ended up spending about 5 hours there. Its ok, while they did some shopping I watched an entire game of ringette. Which was more entertaining than I had previously thought. I then proceeded to spent an exorbitant amount of money at Bath & Body Works... I do hate shopping, except when it comes to that. I'm going to smell very good, for a very long time. Mmmm.

I wasn't as excited about the concert as my buddies were. I mean, I like GBS, but they were practically giddy, and we listened to GBS ALL weekend... This concert changed that. I kind of love them now. They were fantastic! They really knew how to put on a show. It was funny, and I was impressed by how legit musically talented they all were, every one of them sang, and they all played several instruments. It was awesome!

Anyway, at the concert there was this couple looking for their seats, and it looked like they were separated by wouldn't you know it- us. I could see the dejected look on their faces as the usher pointed it out to them. They shuffled down the row heading towards their assigned seats, now, I wasn't havin none of that. We all shoved down a seat so they could sit togethr. It wasn't a big deal to us, but you could just see the gratitude in their faces. Precious moments. They sat holding hands for the entire concert. It made me feel good.

ALSO. This lady. Before the concert started leaned over to me and asked me if I was at Costa Blanca(store in WestEd) this morning. I was. Odd little moment... it got me thinking- I walked through that mall for hours, and if I was to see someone on the street, that I saw at the mall that day, I probably wouldn't recognize them. Or if by some miracle I did recognize them, I wouldn't be able to tell you where from. And this thought troubles me. It has for a while. When I meet someone, I make a note of their name and what they look like, so if we happen to cross paths later in the evening, I wouldn't look like a fool. But after we leave that situation, the night ends, any information like that gets filed in the cellar of my brain. This has to change. Cause I see these people days, months, weeks later, and I know I've met them, but thats all I know. And that makes me a jerk. If I don't make an effort to see people, it means that I dont care. And I DO care. So from now on, i'm going to make an effort to see people. Their details. Things that make them, them. And not just people I meet- people everywhere. If I don't notice people, hoiw am I supposed to know when and where I can help them?

This lady must've seen thousands of people that day. And i'm really impresed that she noticed me, and remembered where from. I'm not anything special, I look like everyone else. I want to be like her, I want to be able to see people, and remember them.

....So...the first time I wrote this, it sounded way better.... it kind of sounds stupid now, but you get it...right?

No comments:

Post a Comment